Subject: Re: SN Render on Single Machine
From: [email-masked] (John Crookshank)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 15:43:36 -0800

On 21-Feb-96 10:14:38, Bunnell, John M. ([email-masked]) Emailed: 

> I am running a 133 w/LW4 on NT 3.51 and can't get the SN to render on a 
> single machine. I have followed the instructions NTk (not to confuse
> with  NT) faxed me but no luck.

> What follows are the directions they faxed me:

> Create a directory on the root of C: called SNetcomm (DID IT)

> Start LW. Open the SN panel and click on the command directory button. 
> Change this to c:\Snetcomm. You will get a requester that asks you to 
> reintialize, choose NO. In the options panel, confirm that the content 
> directory is set up to c:\newtek. Quit LW and restart to save changes to
> CFG  file. (DID IT)

> Copy the LW.cfg and LWSN.exe into the Snetcomm directory. (DID IT)

> In LW's SN panel click on the SN init button. At this point, all of your
>  CPU's that are running SN should appear in that window. (COMES BACK
> WITH 
> 'SEE'S NO CPU'S')

> Click on "add scene to the list" then click on SN render. (COMES BACK
> WITH 
> 'SEE'S NO CPU'S')

> Troubleshooting:

> I checked again in the Command dir panel that it does in fact reference
> the  Snetcomm dir and I checked the cfg file in that directory to make
> sure it  also ref that drive on the host machine.

> What am I missing??? I would also like to render this to my Perception
> (P:  drive) if possible. What changes would I need to make to do that?
> The NTk  tech said that if DPS would send them a Perception he could
> tell me how to  do it but he didn't know because they don't have one. I
> could tell you what  it was like to drive a Porsche too if they would
> only send me one. :-)  Pretzel logic.

> thx
> jmb

They forgot the most important step - starting ScreamerNet in the first
place... It's not seeing any CPU's because SNII isn't running.

The SN panel will only control running copies of ScreamerNet, it doesn't
start them up. To start up SNII, type the following command in the shell:

C:\SNetcomm\LWSN -2 C:\SNetcomm\job1 C:\SNetComm\ack1

You can use a simple .bat file to do this, and make an icon in the Program
Manager to semi-automate it, or add a shortcut if you're using '95.

Once started, go to the LW SN panel, and you can initialize the process,
and start rendering.

To render to your PVR, just set it that way (save to P:\Disk0\Project\etc.)
in the scene file, and save the scene file while the "save frames" option
is turned on.

You can also run SNII without using the Lightwave interface at all to start
up and shut down the process, but that's a little more complicated.

John.
--
      ______________________________________________________________
     /     John Crookshank         | Raptor3 DEC Alpha Workstations \
    |  MicroTech Solutions, Inc.   | Lightwave 3D, Toaster/Flyer     |
    | Desktop Video Systems Dealer | JVC Professional Video Products |
    | NewTek Systems Group Dealer  | PVR, Speed Razor, Amiga Dealer  |
    |------------------------------|---------------------------------|
    |     [email-masked]              http://www.mt-inc.com/       |
     \______________________________________________________________/